Most of my articles have been focused on healthy ways to lose weight but there are people who are interested in gaining weight. Some people feel as though they gain weight just from the smell of chocolate whilst others gorge on it and do not put on a pound.
Although thin people with fast metabolisms are the envy of many, being thin comes with its own risks:
- Extremely thin people tend to have weaker immune systems making them more prone to infections, they also have a slower recovery time
- In men it can cause erectile dysfunction
- They ten to have low muscle mass, and less than ideal hair, teeth and skin composition.
- Women who are too thin may also become unable to menstruate which can wreak havoc when trying become pregnant.
If you have a high metabolism and want to gain weight you need to eat higher calorie foods but they key is to ensure that they are healthy foods. When people are trying to out on weight they usually opt for high calorie fatty foods which contain trans fats, saturated fats, and refined sugars.
These are not good for your health and can lead to a number of health issues when eaten on a regular basis. The majority of trans fats are man- made and they are found in processed foods, there is only a small amount that are naturally occurring. You should aim to include healthy fats in your diet; including lots of oily fish and nuts.
The NutritionAbout website gives some excellent tips on healthy ways to gain weight:
- Add cheese, nuts and dressings made with olive, walnut or canola oil to salads.
- Eat starchy vegetables such as potatoes and corn more often.
- Go for dried fruits or fruit juices as healthy higher calorie snacks.
- Add cream or cheese sauces to fish and baked chicken breast.
- Choose herbs and spices to increase the flavors of your food rather than relying on salt.
- Add powdered milk to soups and sauces to offer calories and protein.
- Spread Peanut butter on whole grain bread, apples or celery sticks to get a great source of protein and calories.
- Stick with healthy desserts, such as a bowl of berries with whipped topping and lot of chopped nuts.
- Spoon healthy salad dressings on sandwiches and as a dip for vegetables.
- Dip whole grain bread into olive oil, walnut oil or flax seed oil. If you don’t care for much meat, add legumes such as black beans, kidney beans and pinto beans as protein sources.
- Pick dark chocolate as a treat. Dark chocolate has antioxidants that other sweets don’t have.
It is important to make sure that you also incorporate some exercise whilst you are trying to gain weight. Your heart is a muscle that needs to be exercised through cardio workouts. Also by including some strength training with weights this helps you to put on weight in the form of muscle rather than fat. I hope that this article helps you on your journey to healthily gaining weight.