Goji berries are amazing, I am so excited by them because I cannot believe that I have only recently heard of them. There are numerous superfoods on the market but I believe that this is a superfood with a difference and not many people know about it.
The term superfoods is used to describe foods that are packed with nutrients that are extremely beneficial to our health. There are many superfoods which you have probably heard of before, broccoli, baked beans, apples , brussels sprouts. You do not hear as commonly of goji berries.
Goji berries are grown in the Himalayas and are high in antioxidants and phytonutrients; they contain more vitamin C than oranges, more beta carotene than carrots and more iron than steak. These berries have been used for over 6,000 years by herbalists in China, they have numerous health benefits, I have listed some of the uses below:
- Help to Prevent Cancer Goji’s antioxidant and unique molecular structure can stop genetic mutations that lead to cancer.
- Help to Manage and Fight Cancer Patients taking a cancer drug together with goji were found to have a recovery rate that was up to 250% better than those patients who took drugs alone.
- Eye Sight it was found in the study of the goji berry that they are able to reduce the amount of time that it takes for vision to adapt to darkness.
- Boosts the Immune Function due to the fact that it contains such high levels of vitamin C.
- Promotes Longevity when included as a regular part of your diet.
- Eliminates Fatigue especially when recovering from an illness.
Goji berries are readily available in health food stores and most supermarkets, they are reasonably priced and make a great snack that you can readily sprinkle into yoghurts, smoothies, cereals or simply eat as a snack when you are on the go. They can be bought dried, as juice, herbal tea or the actual fruit. I have only tasted them in the dried form and I would say that they look quite similar to raisins and I would say the taste is close to dried cranberries.
I hope that this encourages you to try them and check out the health benefits for yourself.